Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Felice Brothers - Long's Park Amphitheater - Lancaster, PA - July 11, 2010


Long’s Park, in nearby Lancaster, PA, hosts a great summer concert series. It’s conveniently located for us (about half an hour away and just off the highway exit), it’s family-friendly, it’s free, and their line-up of national touring acts is always great – good variety and a nice mix of seasoned veterans and up-and-comers.

For reasons that elude us, we had never attended one of these outdoor concerts. When we saw The Felice Brothers on the schedule for this summer, we blocked the date out on our calendars and starting planning our picnic menu.

Mama: This was Carter’s first time seeing The Felice Brothers, and my first time seeing them in an outdoor venue. For a change of pace, we found a spot at the back of the park, at a picnic table under a tree. It was a completely different experience from seeing a show from right in front of the stage. My favorite songs were just as good, but less intense from so far away.

Carter: I listened to them, but I couldn’t hear them as well as I wish I could have. So I read my book during the show.

Mama: It was a really laid-back atmosphere. I like that we could spread out, have a big picnic supper on the table, and hold a conversation if we wanted to, all while enjoying the performance. There were a ton of people there that we knew, so people kept stopping by where we were sitting to fill up a plate and hang out.



Carter: Near the end, people went up on stage with the band and we saw our friend up there.

Mama: She’s a big Felice Brothers fan, so I wasn’t surprised to see her up there. The Felice Brothers have a really big fan base. When they played the Capitol Theatre, I met people who had come to town from Philadelphia and from Ithaca, New York, to see them play that night in York. That was the first sold-out CapLive concert.

Carter: I can’t wait for them to come back and do another CapLive show in the fall.

Mama: Me too. I’m going to get our tickets now, because I’m sure it will be another sold-out show.


Check back soon for our reviews of these live shows: highlights from the XPoNential Music Festival, Dawes at the Capitol Theatre, and The Traveling Circus & Medicine Show at Musikfest in Bethlehem.

No comments:

Post a Comment