Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dawes - Capitol Theatre - York, PA - July 29, 2010


After seeing Dawes at XPN Fest, we were really looking forward to their visit to York. At the festival, Mama fell in love with the song “Love Is All I Am,” and played it incessantly during the week between shows. The opener for their CapLive performance was a band from Philly called The Great Unknown, who we also saw at XPN Fest.

Carter: Their drummer had a magnificent moustache.

Mama: He sure did. They were good. I especially enjoyed the guy playing lap steel.

Carter: I think they were very good. And I got to meet them after they played.


Carter with the drummer and lap steel player from The Great Unknown.


Mama: People tend to arrive in time for the opening acts at CapLive shows. The theater fills up nicely long before the headliner starts.

Carter: Speaking of headliners, Dawes was awesome. Personally, I think they were better than when they did their show at XPN Fest.

Mama: I don’t necessarily agree. I definitely liked their show at the Capitol better, but I think it had less to do with their performance and more to do with the fact that they are very well-suited to the more intimate atmosphere you get with CapLive, as opposed to a large outdoor festival. Their songs translate very well to a space like the Capitol Theatre.

Carter: I agree with you and disagree with you; I agree on how great the venue is for them, but I disagree that it was just that that made it the best performance that I’ve seen them play.

Mama: I understand what you’re saying. The CapLive show was the biggest headlining show they had ever played, and you could tell they were feeding off the vibe there. So I guess I agree that perhaps the performance ended up being better because of it.



Carter: When everybody sang along to “When My Time Comes,” I was very excited.

Mama: That’s not my favorite song of theirs, but that was truly a magical moment. That’s exactly the kind of moment that makes me love live music the way I do.

Carter: Which is to say, very much. A thousand “verys.”

Mama: They sounded amazing, and you could tell they genuinely enjoyed playing the show.

Carter: The lead singer and the drummer are brothers and they both make really, really weird faces when they play…no offense to them.

Mama: Ha! Taylor Goldsmith, the lead singer, does have a great guitar face, and Griffin Goldsmith, the drummer, makes faces like he’s playing in a death metal band instead of a folk-y Americana kind of band.

Carter: After the show, Mama’s boyfriend was hanging out with them at Bistro 19 and he asked them if their parents were musicians and made weird faces, too. They said their parents are musicians, but don’t make weird faces, and that they get asked about that a lot.

Mama: They played a song about living and loving in Los Angeles, where they’re from. I didn’t recognize the song, but it made me think of my friend who lives in L.A. While my boyfriend was spending time with them, Carter and I had already gone home and I was googling the snippets of lyrics I could remember, trying to find the song. I couldn’t find anything, because, as it turns out, they haven’t recorded it yet. I sent my boyfriend a message and he asked Taylor about it. Taylor was kind enough to write down the words to the chorus on a napkin and my boyfriend brought it home for me. I took a picture of it and sent it to my friend in L.A.


...You got that special kind of sadness / you got that tragic set of charms / that only comes from time spent in Los Angeles / makes me wanna wrap you in my arms...


Carter: Overall, I think the show was awesome. I would love to go see them again.

Mama: Me too. I’ve heard rumors that Taylor Goldsmith might do some shows in early 2011 with Matthew Vasquez of Delta Spirit and John McCauley of Deer Tick. They’re all friends and have played together as a side project at places like SXSW. I would absolutely love to see them.

Carter: The guy from Deer Tick has a magnificent moustache, too.



Check back soon for our reviews of these live shows: The Traveling Circus & Medicine Show (Counting Crows/Augustana/NOTAR) at Musikfest in Bethlehem, Deer Tick and Mountain Man at the Capitol Theatre, The Traveling Circus & Medicine Show at the Wellmont Theater, Hot August Blues in Cockeysville, MD, featuring Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Keb Mo, and Lyle Lovett & His Large Band, and Lee Harvey Osmond at Ourhouse in York, PA.


2 comments:

  1. I agree. Loved this show! I thought maybe I was the only one who noticed the crazy faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what kind of mustache Carter grows!

    ReplyDelete