Thursday, September 2, 2010

Deer Tick with Mountain Man - Capitol Theatre - York, PA - August 12, 2010


So we’ve seen Delta Spirit. We’ve seen Dawes. But we had yet to see their friends from Deer Tick. They played in York last winter, but it was at First Capital, and since Carter’s 21st birthday is still 11 years away, we didn’t get to see them. We listen to them quite a bit (there are several excellent Daytrotter sessions with Deer Tick), and have heard what a great live act they are, so we were really looking forward to this show.

Mama: The CapLive show was the last night that Mountain Man would be opening for Deer Tick. The only thing I knew about Mountain Man before that night was that it was a group of girls. I had no idea what kind of music they played.

Carter: It was three girls singing a capella. They were awesome.

Mama: We talked to a lot of people who, like us, hadn’t known what to expect, but the crowd was very receptive to them. They sounded beautiful in that room. My favorite was when one of the girls, Amelia Meath, did a solo a capella cover of Tom Waits’ “Green Grass” similar to the version recorded by singer Cibelle, but slower and about 100 times more melancholy. I actually cried. I tweeted about that song and got a reply from Amelia’s mother before their set was even over.

Carter: I didn’t. You know why I didn’t? Because Mama won’t let me have a Twitter page. They said very funny things, too.

Mama: The girls came out into the audience during Deer Tick’s set. They were singing along, dancing, and having a great time.


Carter with Amelia Meath of Mountain Man.


Carter: Deer Tick was awesome. The music was an all-out rock type of thing, which I enjoyed.

Mama: I really liked them, too. They’re such great musicians and the show was nice and loud.

Carter: Mountain Man went back up and sang a song with them. It was pretty good.

Mama: My favorite Deer Tick song is “These Old Shoes,” so I especially enjoyed when they played that.



Carter: The guy from Deer Tick sounds a little like the guy from Delta Spirit.

Mama: Yeah, they do sound a little bit similar. But his voice has a grittier kind of thing going on. It’s very distinct. His name is John McCauley, and he has a side project called MG&V with Matthew Vasquez of Delta Spirit and Taylor and Griffin Goldsmith of Dawes. The song that Mountain Man sang with Deer Tick that night is an MG&V song called “Daydreaming.” It’s a really great song.

Carter: I saw my band director at the show. Hi, Dr. Moyer!

Mama: I wonder how he liked it?

Carter: I’ll bet you he did.

Mama: I know I did.

Carter: I did too.


Check back soon for our reviews of these live shows: The Traveling Circus & Medicine Show at the Wellmont Theater, Hot August Blues in Cockeysville, MD, featuring Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears, Keb Mo, and Lyle Lovett & His Large Band, and Lee Harvey Osmond at Ourhouse in York, PA. Next week's a big week, too: Carolina Chocolate Drops, Rhett Miller, and Spoon! How's that for variety?


1 comment: