Thursday, July 15, 2010

Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears - Capitol Theatre - York, PA - July 1, 2010


This was the first show where we had seen an artist (in this case, at the 2009 WXPN non-commercial radio convention, or Non-COMM), gotten booking information, and as a result, saw them added to the CapLive concert series line-up. It was Carter’s first time seeing Black Joe Lewis perform live, but he knew the music well, and we were both really excited for this show.


Mama: I had seen them before, but it was so much fun to see them at what we consider our “home” venue.


Carter: We were walking by on our way to the show and we saw some of the guys from the band smoking outside. We got a picture with them.



Mama: It’s always fun when bands play at the Capitol, because it’s so small and you usually get the opportunity to hang out with them before or after the show, or at least meet them. Like, remember the time when you hung out with the guys from The BibleCode Sundays for a whole evening?


Carter: Yeah, some of them were totally drunk. But they were definitely fun. I got my picture taken with them, too.


Mama: When I came to find you, they were like, “Are you Carter’s mum? Will you take our picture with him?” Anyway, back to the Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears show. The opening band was called Hacienda, and I thought they were really good.


Carter: They weren’t awful, but they weren’t my favorite band.


Mama: I liked them a lot. Their merch was cool, too.


Carter: When Black Joe Lewis started, I was excited. I like them a lot.


Mama: Me too. Everyone got up and started dancing right away.


Carter: Even though I really like the band, somehow I managed to accidentally fall asleep halfway through the show. But I woke up for my favorite song [“Get Yo Shit”]. The lyrics are funny:

She said, ‘You don’t even buy me presents.’

‘Yeah, I did. I bought you a box of chicken, but I ate it on the way home.’

Just thinking about it makes me hungry for Bair’s chicken.


Mama: His lyrics are really funny. And he’s an excellent guitarist.


Carter: The horn section was kick-ass.


Mama: Carter! Don’t curse.


Carter: Kick-butt.


Mama: [dirty look]


Carter: Bad-butt?


Mama: So you liked the horn section?


Carter: Yes. Yes I did.


Mama: If you stick with the trumpet, do you think you’d like to play in a band like that?


Carter: No, I’d rather do classical stuff. I liked it, but it’s not something I would want to do.


Mama: So overall, what did you think of the show?


Carter: Awesome. I thought that it was one of the best shows I have ever seen.


Check back soon for our reviews of these live shows: Delta Spirit, Kate Miller-Heidke, The Felice Brothers, and the XPoNential Music Festival!

1 comment:

  1. I have a hard time believing that Mama told Carter not to curse. :)

    ReplyDelete